CUC was established in 1912 by urban missionaries, Edwin and Isabel Adams. The Adams owned a home at 2815 Ellsworth Street in south Philadelphia, which became the birth place of CUC. They started their bible ministry as an afternoon Sunday school for the neighborhood children. The ministry was originally called Christian Union Chapel.
Over the years, morning and evening worship services were added. Sunday school and youth group activities continued to be very important to the ministry. In the 1940’s the ministry’s name was changed to Christian Union Church. In 1946, Ernest Wilson was voted in as the first pastor. Pastor Wilson served until 1961 and was succeeded by Pastor Junius S. T. Bervine (1962-1970). Christian Union continued to grow and serve the Kingdom in south Philly until January 1972 when we relocated to our current location. The move occurred under the leadership of Pastor Detolan Davis; he served the ministry from 1971 until 1986, his death. Pastor Tony Benson (1987-1989) and Pastor Paul Cofer (1990-1994) also served as pastors.
Pastor Tucker (1996-present) is the sixth pastor to shepherd Christian Union, and with his most recent pastoral anniversary, he continues with the distinction of being the longest-serving pastor in CUC’s hundred year history.